KNOWLEDGE AND AWARENESS OF THE MEDICINE DISPOSAL AMONG HEALTHCARE PROFESSIONALS
26-HJPV3(1)-2023 Original Article
Keywords:Disposal, Medication, Unwanted prescription, Awareness
Pharmaceutical active preparations are designed with specific biological and physiological properties. These formulations possess desired therapeutic action against numerous diseases and infections. But some preparations have hazardous effects on the environment when it comes to disposal of medicines, it is necessary to know about the importance of proper waste disposal. The primary objective of the study is to know about the importance of the medicinal waste disposal system and the awareness among health care professionals especially past expiry date. The cross-sectional survey-based study was performed in Karachi. Data was collected through an online Google questionnaire form. The results were analyzed. Among 203 responders, 65% (n=132) were females while the other 35% (n=71) were males. Approximately 57.1% (n=116) agreed that they are aware of the hazards and disposal of medication waste and 63.05% (n=128) think that it is the responsibility of Pharmacies Association and other regulatory bodies for awareness of proper disposal of medicines. The study recommends that we establish uniform guidelines for the safe disposal of expired or unused medications. Significant problems and malpractices were identified for unused, and unwanted prescription medication, lack of a drug take-back system, proper disposal of medications & surgical, inadequate awareness about disposal system adversely affecting our environment and health.